When choosing a lice treatment, it’s important to choose one that is safe for your children. That’s obstacle number one and choosing one that is effective is obstacle number two. Luckily, our lice treatments can fulfill both of those requirements. But many other lice treatments contain harmful chemicals and children are more vulnerable to being effected than adults. Their bodies are still growing and developing so toxin can mess with their system in a very negative way. Choosing a lice treatment can be difficult if you don’t know much about the ingredients. Drugstore treatments usually can’t be trusted but here are some toxins to look out for.
It sounds cool because it shares its name with a planet but Merciry is an aqueous metallic substance that is mined from the earth’s crust. It is commonly found in atmospheric emissions resulting from coal, power plants, cement production, smelting operations, gold mining and various other sources. Dentists use mercury to fill cavities. There’s a small chance that the mercury will slowly leach into your child’s body, and cause long-term neurological damage. It can also harm peripheral vision, cause skin rashes and limit one’s ability to talk, hear or walk properly. The chances of this happening are small but why risk it when it’s our children? Do not use a lice treatment with Mercury. It can soak into the scalp and cause harm.
It’s pretty common knowledge that lead can be harmful. The production of pencils with actual lead was stopped in 1978 because people were getting lead poisoning from them. It also became illegal for paint to contain lead in 1978. Lead can be found in soil. Lead is a neurotoxin that can negatively affect the blood, brain and nervous system, kidneys and cognitive ability (scary!). Lead can also be found in pharmaceutical drugs, battery electrodes, radiation shields at the doctor’s office, construction and architectural materials, ammunition, candle wicks, polyvinyl chloride plastic (PVC), fishing tackle, decorative glass, artist’s supplies and Christmas lights. If you know that a lice treatment contains lead, stay away!
Bisphenol A —BPA
This toxin is commonly referred to as BPA — a plastic-derived compound. Approximately 90% of Americans carry detectable levels of this estrogen-mimicking menace in their blood, and in addition to the chemical messing with the reproductive system, it is shown to trigger breast and prostate cancer as well as hyperactivity in children. You can find BPA in thermal paper in grocery store receipts, dental sealants, polycarbonate plastic food packaging, disposable plastic cutlery, water bottles, the linings in metal beverage/food cans, a whole host of children’s products (baby bottles, especially), sunglasses and toxic head lice remedies. Don’t risk the side-effects of BPA.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil sounds so natural and healthy and while it is “natural” that doesn’t mean it hasn’t had negative side-effects in children. Recent studies found that frequent exposure to tea tree oil from shampoos, conditioners, hair gels, colognes or other products can cause breast growth in young boys and early breast growth in young girls as early as age 4. Tea tree oil contains phytoestrogens, which mimic the hormone estrogen, which makes sense why it has the above side-effects. Treating head lice with tea tree oil often requires multiple applications and extreme vigilance to rid your family of head lice. Multiple applications can cause harm and un-wanted side-effects. Be careful when using tea tree oil.
Make sure you know the ingredients in a lice treatment remedy before using. Using something with potential side-effects on our children is not worth the risk.